Midlife Metamorphosis

My midlife metamorphosis truly began in 2012 after a nearly fatal pulmonary embolism and I'm still evolving. It's a phenomenon I've witnessed in many friends this past twelve years.

Women in midlife are a truly phenomenal force. We become new people. We change, improve, resist and demand our boundaries be respected. 

This can look like so many things depending on the individual: 

- the artist 

- the hippie 

- the gym/fitness junkie

- the activist

- the active lifestylist 

- the granny 

- the adventurer 

etc, etc. or any mix of all those personality types. 

It's easy to lose respect for people you previously allowed into your inner circle when you begin to realise you fundamentally disagree on just about everything, it's okay to move on and leave behind the baggage of your old life. 

For me personally I embraced my creative and adventure seeking traits, I also became vocal about my liberal ideals in politics and human aspiration, but most importantly I had the realisation that my body with it's daily pain, genetic condition and chronic illness required more rest and personalised care than most people my age, I stepped off the diet and fitness industry rollercoaster and opted for outdoor recreation, yoga and vegetarianism (mostly). I truly saw how our society pigeon holes women from the moment they are born, I resist that gender role in many ways, in truth I always have in my heart of hearts I'm just more honest with myself about it now. 

Who am I now? Here it is in a nutshell:

Hiker, dog mum, quilt designer & author, book lover, cyclist, golfer. There's a million other things I could add but in reality these six things fill most of my time. 

I'm proud to be aging in my own way not following the trends that proliferate. Find yourself not who or what others expect you to be.





Popular Posts