Workout Heart Rate & Yoga

I was asked by an employer earlier this year whether students in my yoga class would experience an elevated heart rate. WTAF, in the moment I found it a little offensive. It was a children's fitness class and I was contracted to do several weeks of yoga classes. I thought it was an ignorant question. I truly should've seen that as a red flag. It was a corporation contracted to provide yoga teachers for after school classes and I only completed two 4 week contracts before I decided they didn't have the children's best interests at heart and I stopped accepting new contacts. 

This is my heart rate this morning in the middle of teaching a yoga class for the Town of Castle Rock. I reached the red zone according to my Garmin  heart rate watch. 
Using an age old method my maximum heart rate is considered 172. So 164 is pretty high up there!!! 
There are definitely versions of yoga that can be more restorative/relaxing. However if you are practicing Ashtanga, Hatha or Vinyasa Flow it's likely a workout that will boost your heart rate into the workout range

Check your max heart rate estimate here:

Yoga is a lot of things. 

Yoga is most definitely a body weight workout that will boost heart rate and increase strength and flexibility when practiced regularly. 


Popular Posts